The Minnesota Legislature established the Saint Paul Port Authority as a non-profit governmental agency in 1929 to manage the Saint Paul Harbor. In 1932, the City of Saint Paul transferred Barge Terminal One to the Saint Paul Port Authority. Barge Terminal Two was added in 1960, followed by Red Rock and Southport in 1964. All four ports continue to be managed by the Saint Paul Port Authority, stimulating the local economy through good paying jobs and property tax revenue.
In 1955, the Legislature authorized the Port to engage in economic development activities inland. Our first redevelopment project, Riverview Business Center, was built in 1962. Since then, 16 more inland business centers have been developed, contributing to approximately 25,000 good paying jobs in the City of Saint Paul.